ADSM-L

AIX Disaster Recovery

1995-12-19 15:54:16
Subject: AIX Disaster Recovery
From: Don Moxley <moxley AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 13:54:16 MST
>Hi Kevin,
>I was wondering if you have gotten any responses to your question if yo
>please forward them to me at mayura AT mr35.comm.mot DOT com.
>Thanks,
>Mayura>
>> Trying to work through the testing and documenting in the recovery of
>> client. Current thinking is to use Sysback to backup the operating
>> environment
>> and ADSM to restore the rest. Does anyone have a process in place tha
>> share it with us? Would appreciate any response. Thanks.
>>
>> Kevin Balmer
>> Providian Corp.

Here are some options for using AIX boot media and the ADSM AIX
backup/archive client together:

 1. aix 3.2.x
    a. mksysb
       Use mksysb for creating the base machine, and ADSM for the
       incremental backup of user/application data.
       1. Use mksysb to recreate rootvg (which includes adsm code).
          This mksysb image can be made from the client, or might
          be the network install image used to build the client
          originally. (Network install via AIX network install or
          Netview/DM).
       2. Manually redefine other volume groups and their file systems.
       3. Use adsm client to restore user/application files.
    b. Sysback/6000
       Use Sysback for creating the base machine, and ADSM for the
       incremental backup of user/application data.
       1. Use Sysback/6000 to recreate rootvg (which includes ADSM code).
       2. Use Sysback/6000 to recreate other volume groups
          (tell Sysback to exclude files to be backed up in ADSM).
       3. Use ADSM client to restore user/application files.
 2. aix 4.x
    a. mksysb and savevg/restvg
       Use mksysb for creating the base machine, and ADSM for the
       incremental backup of user/application data.
       1. Use mksysb to recreate rootvg, (which includes adsm code).
          This mksysb image can be made from the client, or might
          be the network install image used to build the client
          originally. (Network install via AIX NIM or NV/DM).
       2. Use savevg/restvg to recreate other volume groups
          (tell savevg to exclude files to be backed up in ADSM)
       3. Use ADSM client to restore user/application files.
    b. Sysback/6000
       Use Sysback for creating the base machine, and ADSM for the
       incremental backup of user/application data.
       1. Use Sysback/6000 to recreate rootvg (which includes ADSM code).
       2. Use Sysback/6000 to recreate other volume groups
          (tell Sysback to exclude files to be backed up in ADSM).
       3. Use ADSM client to restore user/application files.

Using any of these options, you would want to:

 1. Do the mksysb/savevg or sysback depending on how
    volatile the system is. Examples of 'volatility' are:
    a. software upgrades
    b. file system extensions
    c. logical volume additions

    Maybe atleast once a month is a good policy.

 2. Keep a record of:

    -What VG's are defined and how are they defined (PV's, LV's,
     filesystems)

    This info can really come in handy during a rebuild. Here are
    some AIX commands to get the above info:

    echo "logical volumes by volume group"
    lsvg -o | lsvg -i -l
    echo "file systems"
    df
    echo "devices"
    lsdev -C | sort -d -f

The new Disaster Recovery Manager feature of the Systemview distributed
ADSM V2 server gives you the ability to store this information and the
volume serials and location of your mksysb or sysback boot media
in the ADSM database. So everything you need to know is in one place.

Don Moxley, IBM SSD Software