ADSM-L

Re: BACKUP DB

1995-12-12 02:00:25
Subject: Re: BACKUP DB
From: Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT CONNIX DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 12:00:25 +0500
Lars Danielsson asks:

> Some questions in the BACKUP DB area.
>
> Today I take the ADSM MVS server down each lunch time and backup
> the 8 GB DB, the 200 MB log and the disklog by DFDSS. For the
> moment the DB is spread on 5 ADSM "volumes". I pick these data
> sets into three groups of nearly the same size and copy these in
> parallel by DFDSS parallel option using three 3490 tape stations
> in 35 minutes.
>
> Now, I want to use the BACKUP DB command to eliminate the lunch
> take down. I intend to run the Full Backup once a weekend and the
> Incremental Backup each day.
>
> I would appreciate if anyone can give me some experiences of
> elapse time and CPU usage for the BACKUP DB function?

My database is 498,688 4K pages, or approximately 1.9 GB. It is currently
70% utilized. Backup is to 3480 IDRC cartridge. My weekly full backup takes
22 minutes, and daily incrementals take 10 minutes. I don't have exact CPU
stats, but for the duration of the backup, CPU utilization was no higher
than 5%, or so. We don't even notice it.

The non-disruptive database backup works great. Try it, you'll like it!

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual
203-987-3521