ADSM-L

Re: Backup DB

1995-12-15 03:54:37
Subject: Re: Backup DB
From: Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT CONNIX DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 13:54:37 +0500
Kent Johnson asks:

> Does this apply to incremental db backups?
>
> So for example, if you're doing weekly full backups and daily incrementals,
> will you need seven tapes for the whole process?
>
> Or, are incrementals appended to the full backup tape?
>
> On Dec 15, 10:50am, Dave Cannon wrote:
> > Subject: Backup DB
> > >There is a "VOLumenames= volname" on the "BAckup DB" command.  "Scratch"is
> > >the default so you WILL get a new tape for each backup if you simply typ
> > >"BA DB DEV = devclassname".
> >
> > >Take a look at pg 51 in the "Administrator's Reference" SH26-4040-00.
>  Ithink
> > >that should solve your problem.
> >
> > >Tom Hepner
> > >San Jose Technical Support Center
> >
> > Using the VOLUMENAMES parameter allows the administrator to specify the
> > volume to which a DB backup will be written, but any previous backup
> > on this volume will be overwritten.  We do not currently provide a
> > means to append a new DB backup after an existing backup.
> >
> > Dave Cannon
> > ADSM Development
> >-- End of excerpt from Dave Cannon
> > >-- End of excerpt from Kent Johnson

Yes, it applies to incremental backups.

We ship our database backup tapes offsite daily (both full and incremental).
They are stored in slots in a vault, not a remote library. So in my case
(as is probably most people's case), appending the backups wouldn't be a
good idea, anyway.

Considering that the ADSM database is *the* most critical part of the entire
ADSM installation, I consider the wasted tape capacity a reasonable trade-off
for protecting it. Also, you will rarely, if ever, have to restore your
database (knock on wood!); you may want to consider ejecting the cartridges
from the ATL after they are created, and storing them in a tape rack. Once
they expire, they can be reinserted into the ATL. That is, if ATL space is at
a premium.

Just my $0.02.

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual