ADSM-L

Re: ADSM datasets on SMS managed volumes ??

1995-11-07 05:45:54
Subject: Re: ADSM datasets on SMS managed volumes ??
From: Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT CONNIX DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 10:45:54 +0000
Dieter Appelhans asks:

> Has anyone had any problems placing the ADSM datasets on SMS managed
volumes. We
> have just installed ADSM onto our test MVS system and have put all the
ADSM
> datasets (DB, Recovery Log, Storage, etc) on non SMS managed volumes. I
have
> heard that there may be problems if they are SMS managed, but I never
found out
> why.
> Please pass on your experiences, good and bad.
> Thanks....Dieter

I have a separate SMS storage group for my ADSM database and storage pool
volumes. The storage class includes the guaranteed space attribute so that
I can hand-place them (i.e. to separate db and log volumes and their
mirrors, etc.). My "miscellaneous" ADSM files (device history, volume
history, disk log, etc.) go in our normal, managed SMS storage groups.

Although many folks might not put them in SMS storage groups because they
can't take advantage of the obvious benefits of SMS (backup and space
management), I still think there are benefits:

1) A lot of people think that if the data can't be migrated or backed up
   by HSM, then it isn't an SMS candidate. My own personal philosophy:
   sometimes the correct management for data is *not* to manage it. In
   other words, I can use SMS to make sure that HSM *doesn't* migrate or
   back up the ADSM data sets. I can also set the storage class to
   suppress caching as necessary.

2) By placing ADSM volumes in their own storage group, I can prevent data
   that doesn't belong there from being placed there.

With this in mind, I've managed to successfully integrate ADSM data sets
into our SMS environment.

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual
203-987-3521