ADSM-L

Re: Windows Client Hang

1995-09-25 11:30:59
Subject: Re: Windows Client Hang
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 10:30:59 EST
Leroy Gharis Wrote:
>  We have some customers running the ADSM Windows client on WFW.  We can
>successfully execute a "Incremental by Date" backup and restore files. When

>we try to execute an "Incremental backup" the client hangs.  Sometimes the
>"Elapsed Time" stays at 00:00:00 and sometimes it goes for a few seconds to a
>minute or two before it finally hangs.  They are backing up to a Sun ADSM
>server running evaluation software.
> This sounds similar to the problem mentioned in another message with the

>OS/2 client hanging.  Maybe this is TCP/IP related and has nothing to do with

>the fact thst it is an ADSM Windows client, but I was wondering if anyone
>else has seen this same problem.

Leroy - We have seen many similar problems, but not your exact situation.  We
do run WFW 3.11, and have not seen this with them, but I have seen similar
problems (backups run by manual effort, but the scheduler will not kick off)
that we have tracked back to TCP/IP problems.  Primarily, these have been with
Novell's Lan WorkPlace (LWP), and were resolved by getting the maintenance to
the 4.2 level (4.1, while supported, does have some bugs; the 4.1 to 4.2
upgrade is a no cost upgrade available from their server.)  I have also had
problems where there were multiple copies of TCPIP.EXE on the PCs; they of
course were at different levels, and the one in the path statement, and to
which we applied maintenance, was not the one being loaded at boot time.

We are not using a Sun Server (MVS is our server, currently), but would be
surprised if the problem is on the server end.

Jerry Lawson