ADSM-L

Re: Vaulting and Offsite Storage

1995-09-25 11:06:52
Subject: Re: Vaulting and Offsite Storage
From: Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT TIAC DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 11:06:52 -0400
My best recommendation would be to upgrade to the V2 server, which has built-in
capability for backing up disk and tape storage pools for off-site vaulting.

If you do not wish to off-site all your tapes, but just a particular subset,
your best bet is to set up a special management class for SQL-BACKTRACK
that directs the data to its own storage pool. This is actually why ADSM
allows you to create different storage pools - to help you manage some data
differently from other data.

As to your ADSM and TMS problem - your note wasn't very specific, so I can't
say much except that we are using the ARCTVEXT exit that is supplied with
CA's TMS. This works just fine.

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual
203-987-3521

Original message follows:

For those of you who run (ADSM) on an MVS Server:

We use SqlBacktrack to pipe Sybase DB's to an ADSM tape storage pool and
now need to come up with a scheme for vaulting/offsite storage methods on
particular sets of tapes from a storage pool of many.

I guess I am looking for hints/tips on how other users of adsm have
addressed the offsite/vaulting cycle problem. What types of methods are
used to get into an offsite schedule that ADSM can agree with?

We have been playing around with TMS, but have been frustrated so far.
Can't seem to get ADSM and TMS to work together gracefully.

There's got to be a better way.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Hughes
Technical Consultant