ADSM-L

Re: email notification

1995-06-22 20:37:51
Subject: Re: email notification
From: Martha McConaghy <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 1995 20:37:51 EDT
For our LAN server backups, I wrote a REXX exec which invokes ADSM for
the backup.  It pipes the output to a file which is then sent to our
VM system using the LPR client.  On VM, its sent to a special service
machine which archives the log onto disk and scans it for errors.  Any
errors are sent to the LAN administrators via e-mail.

For our users, we do the opposite.  I wrote a REXX exec on VM using
CMS Pipelines to detect any users that have gone more than 30 days without
a successful backup.  They are sent e-mail, notifying them of this.  If they
choose not to do a backup after being warned, that's their problem.  The
note is sent once a week, which isn't too intrusive.

I've included these utilities in a paper I just wrote for the VM Workshop.
I'm planning on making it available on the network soon.

Martha