ADSM-L

email notification

1995-06-22 13:25:02
Subject: email notification
From: Rusty Wright <rusty AT GROAN.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 1995 10:25:02 -0700
Is there any way to have the server, or client, send email each time
after a backup is done?  It seems to me that having the server do it
is probably easier since the client machine may not have email
software installed.  Plus, adding that capability to the client
software would just make it even bigger.

The justification being that most people doing stuff on the network
are using email, and we're probably all in the habit of checking our
email at least once a day.  It's a lot easier to just get a message
saying that the backups were done than it is to go and eyeball the log
file.

Of course, this would be configurable as to whether it sends email or
not, and the address it sends it to, the amount of detail about the
backup included in the message, etc.

With something as important as backups, you don't want to assume that
it's just happening, even if it has been cruising along nicely for a
while.  Accidents can happen and, for example, your client being
backed up could get accidently dropped off the server's backup list or
somesuch.