ADSM-L

Re: EXPORT Performance

1995-06-22 18:21:51
Subject: Re: EXPORT Performance
From: Andrew Raibeck <raibeck AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 1995 18:21:51 -0400
In my shop I don't even bother trying to use EXPORT. I remember when Level
0.12 came out - it was supposed to improve performance, but instead was
worse. In fact, if I remember correctly, when I did an EXPORT with
PREVIEW=YES, my MVS server got a S0C4 abend.

I understand that off-siting data is important, especially for disaster
recovery. My philosophy has been that what we have today (with ADSM) is
better than what we had before, and that I can't have everything at once.
With that in mind, I'm waiting for the disaster recovery enhancements that
are supposed to be a part of version 2. Everything I've heard from IBM tells
me that it will be much more viable than EXPORT.

I've heard a lot of discussion about EXPORT. Based on the outstanding
problems, I can't believe that very many people, if any, are using it in any
significant fashion (simply because it's unusable). My suggestion would be
to forget about it, wait a couple of months for version 2, and see what that
has to offer.

Andy Raibeck