ADSM-L

Re: notification of passwords

1995-04-20 17:30:43
Subject: Re: notification of passwords
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 17:30:43 EDT
On Wed, 19 Apr 1995 20:02:39 EDT Martha McConaghy said:
>I also have another exec and macro that checks when the last
>successful back completed and if its more than 30 days, it sends a warning
>note.  I can do this because I include their e-mail address in the Contact name
> field.  If there is no address, then no mail is sent.  If you like, I can
>send you an example.

We have done a similar thing for our ADSM/6000 server.  I have written a
Rexx exec (actually Uni-REXX) which sends E-mail if a node has not been
backed up recently.  I first check to see if there is an EVENT which shows
a successful incremental backup.  If there isn't, then I resort to doing
a QUERY FILESPACE, and checking the last backup date/time for each filespace.
The reason I do this, is that sometimes users have filespaces which are not
automatically backed up (i.e., they are not in their default DOMAIN).  By
checking the Q EVENT first, I avoid sending bogus mailfiles to these users.

We also use the CONTACT field to store all sorts of information about the
node, including an E-mail address to send these notification mailfiles to
as well as a notification parameter which we can set to indicate how many
days are allowed to elapse without a good backup, before this notification
E-mail gets sent.  There is also the ability to ALWAYS send a notification
E-mail, to indicate that a recent good backup HAS occurred (we added this
later, for users who wanted some positive confirmation via E-mail).

The code is not yet ready for distribution, but I am planning to make it
available, along with a few other goodies that I have developed using Rexx.
Since Rexx is also available on VM, MVS, and OS/2, it should be fairly easy
to port these to other platforms.

..Paul

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601