ADSM-L

Re: The ADSM Mac Client and the DOMAIN Statement

1995-03-14 20:05:21
Subject: Re: The ADSM Mac Client and the DOMAIN Statement
From: Chris Krusch <Chris.Krusch AT UBC DOT CA>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 17:05:21 -0800
I vote for an all-local for the mac that excludes ejectable. Use of soft
partitioning software at least at our site is almost non existent. Is this
typical of other sites? Perhaps Norton can be asked why they mark it
ejectable or can correct it from their end.  Including CD rom by default
would waste network bandwidth and lots of server storage!

Chris Krusch
University of British Columbia

At  2:31 PM 3/14/95 -0800, Brett Walker (408)256-0265 Fax: wrote:
>Re: Note from you attached below
>
>>default if one doesn't use a DOMAIN statement.  This is true for all
>>clients other than the Mac.  As I understand it, the problem is
>>simply that they can't tell the difference between a local hard disk
>>and a CD-ROM.  (CD-ROM drives are not considered "all local", which
>>I'm sure you will agree is a good thing.)
>
>Its true, ALL-LOCAL is not supported on the Mac.  I have had trouble
>implementing it correctly.  There are bits I can check to see if a
>drive is ejectable (which covers CD-ROM and floppy) but some soft
>partitioning software (in particular Norton Partition) mark their
>partitions as ejectable.  Therefore those valid local volumes would
>not get inlcuded in the domain.  There are other things to check, but
>none of them really solve the problem.
>
>I know this is a problem.  I'm willing to go with the consensus.  I can
>either check if the volume is ejectable and live with the soft partition
>exposure, or I can include everything in the domain, or do nothing.
>
>Thoughts?
>
>Brett

Chris Krusch                             Email: Chris.Krusch AT ubc DOT ca
University Computing Services            Phone: (604)822-4215