ADSM-L

Re: The ADSM Mac Client and the DOMAIN Statement

1995-03-15 08:26:02
Subject: Re: The ADSM Mac Client and the DOMAIN Statement
From: Michael Kearney <michael AT UDCEMAIL.UDC.UPENN DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 08:26:02 -0500
Brett Walker wrote:

> Its true, ALL-LOCAL is not supported on the Mac.  I have had trouble
> implementing it correctly.  There are bits I can check to see if a
> drive is ejectable (which covers CD-ROM and floppy) but some soft
> partitioning software (in particular Norton Partition) mark their
> partitions as ejectable.  Therefore those valid local volumes would
> not get inlcuded in the domain.  There are other things to check, but
> none of them really solve the problem.
>
> I know this is a problem.  I'm willing to go with the consensus.  I can
> either check if the volume is ejectable and live with the soft partition
> exposure, or I can include everything in the domain, or do nothing.
>
> Thoughts?

Isn't marking a hard disk partition as ejectable simply a bug? Perhaps one
could prevail upon Symantec to fix their code (assuming that the problem
lies with their soft partitioning software and not the underlying OS?)
After all, they've made their reputation by being able to provide timely
and correct information about desktop hardware, especially disks.

I'd also vote for the ALL-LOCAL option with no 'ejectable' disks as long
as the documentation is updated to reflect the possibility that ejectable
may have peculiar meanings in certain situations.

By the way, Brett, thanks for asking.

Michael

--
Michael W. Kearney                        Phone : (215)-898-1153
Michael W. Kearney                        Phone : (215)-898-1153

'"User" is a swearword employed by systems programmers to denote people
who want useful output from the computer they paid for.' - John Blatt