ADSM-L

Re: Restoring Mac files on a Netware Server

1994-04-21 14:37:26
Subject: Re: Restoring Mac files on a Netware Server
From: Mitch Sako <mitch AT LSIL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 1994 11:37:26 PDT
> Date:         Thu, 21 Apr 1994 10:41:37 EDT
> From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT vm.sas DOT com>
> Subject:      Re: Restoring Mac files on a Netware Server
> On Tue, 19 Apr 1994 18:58:43 EDT Paul Zarnowski said:
> As I see it, adsm is sort of like the swiss army knife of backup systems.
> It is trying to be the best campus wide solution for a diverse set of
> platforms. This means that adsm has a few extra problems. It has to compete
> against a backup system written only for macs in the mac world, only for unix
> in the unix world  etc.. If it has too many "buts" for any one platform the
> customer may chose to go with the single platform vendor.
> If it does work out for a site, it offers a simpler solution for the
 operations
> and system admin staff. One is not required to install and maintain
> a separate system for each platform. For the user that has to use more then
> one platform it gives a somewhat consistent interface across the systems.

This is quite astute.  We have found that ADSM doesn't do everything but it
does a few thing very well.  The most impressive thing is for trivial restores
when coupled with a tape robot (Storage Technology Silo).  Restores can be
done from a desktop without any human intervention.  The consistency in the
restore time (a few minutes for a trivial restore) is very much appreciated
here.

Of course, there are warts.  Long lookup times for filesystems with
hundreds of thousands of objects, for instance.  Otherwise, the product
does well for what we need.  We also couple it with redundant backups
run from dump scripts to 8mm.  With this combination, it is quite acceptable.
| I-NET Corporation    \\ \\ \\ \\    \\       ||    //      //    //  |
| LSI Logic Contract    \\  \\\  \\    \\      ||   //      ////////   |
| Mailstop E-195         \\       \\    \\     ||  //      //    //    |
| 1501 McCarthy Blvd.     \\       \\ \\\\\\\\ || /////// //    //     |
| Milpitas  CA  95035                                                  |
| internet:   msako AT lsil DOT com              FAX:    (408) 433-8796       |
| uucp:       lsil!msako                  Pager:  (408) 989-3365       |
| ibmmail:    USMILUN9 AT IBMMAIL                                      |
| DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are mine alone                        |