ADSM-L

Re: Restoring Mac files on a Netware Server

1994-04-21 10:41:37
Subject: Re: Restoring Mac files on a Netware Server
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 1994 10:41:37 EDT
On Tue, 19 Apr 1994 18:58:43 EDT Paul Zarnowski said:
>On Tue, 19 Apr 1994 18:21:42 EST Michael W. Kearney said:
>>IBM has agreed to watch this forum for reactions to this posting
>>and pass them on to the development team. I'd appreciate your comments
>>as to the relevance/difficulty this feature poses for your organizations.
>>It's probably going to cost us some Netware customers here.
>
>This problem is also relevant to us, and we would like to see it addressed.
>We have many Netware servers on campus, and were planning to use ADSM with
>them.  We would expect that our Netware users would want to be able to
>restore files to alternate locations, without running into this problem.
>..Paul

In general it would be nice if there are no loose ends on any system.
There should be as few surprises as possible for the end-user or for the
system admin types. Another example of a possible problem is the note
in the OS/2 client manual that changing the attributes of a file will not be
detected by the adsm backup client. Another is the missing support for
the afs filesystems in unix or unix like clients other then AIX.
ADSM can backup the file itself, but does not know how to handle the
extra information stored in the afs filesystem.
Since most people do not read and memorize the whole manual and all of the
read.me files that come with a product, they most likely will not see
the fine print.

As I see it, adsm is sort of like the swiss army knife of backup systems.
It is trying to be the best campus wide solution for a diverse set of
platforms. This means that adsm has a few extra problems. It has to compete
against a backup system written only for macs in the mac world, only for unix
in the unix world  etc.. If it has too many "buts" for any one platform the
customer may chose to go with the single platform vendor.
If it does work out for a site, it offers a simpler solution for the operations
and system admin staff. One is not required to install and maintain
a separate system for each platform. For the user that has to use more then
one platform it gives a somewhat consistent interface across the systems.