nv-l

Re: [nv-l] How to monitor HTTP Service by Netview

2003-01-21 04:43:17
Subject: Re: [nv-l] How to monitor HTTP Service by Netview
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:07:16 +0000
Hi,
Since your NetView is on Unix, you are a bit stuck for constant
monitoring of a service like http. Although nvsniffer will create an
icon under your SmartSets, that icon simply represents having seen a
service on the http port ONCE! The Unix version of nvsniffer does not
constantly update the colour of that icon, depending on the service,
even if you run nvsniffer periodically with the "-r" and "-s" flags.
This is one area where NetView on Windows is better, as it creates icons
under the node level for each service that nvsniffer monitors, and those
service icons DO change colour if the service goes up and down, if you
run nvsniffer periodically. I understand there is an enhancement request
in to make NetView on Unix work like NetView on Windows in this araea,
but who knows if / when this will emerge??????

Meanwhile, you might think about creating your own icon and script. The
script would need to check for the service required and you probably run
it periodically via cron. Your script needs to issue "good news" traps
and "bad news" traps, depending on the status of the service (NetView
provides an snmptrap binary). NetView also provides the "Change status"
trap - 58916871 - you can use this trap to change the colour of your new
icon representing a service on a node. For help with your port testing
script, have a look under /usr/OV/prg_samples/launchport - there is code
there that more-or-less does what nvsniffer does for you.

Cheers,
Jane

Shawn CC Chou wrote:

>Hi all :
>
>My server is Netview 7.1.2 on AIX 4.3.3
>
>I need to monitor the HTTP services on my target machine , windows 2000. It
>is already in my topology graphic. I am monitoring its network status and
>adapter. As far as i know , i have to enable the snmp traps to monitor http
>service. Do i have to create the new trap for it or it has been created by
>Netview itself ? Do i need to config anything else?
>

>Best Regards,
>
>  Shawn CC Chou  周嘉淳
>  Technical Supports and Services
>  Strategic Outsourcing, IBM Taiwan
>  Internet address: choucc AT tw.ibm DOT com
>  Tel: 886-2-27767930  Fax: 886-2-27712701
>  Mobile: 0935558562

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2003 Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>.  All rights
reserved.