nv-l

[nv-l] Installation of Framework and Tec Net

2003-01-08 17:57:10
Subject: [nv-l] Installation of Framework and Tec Net
From: Herman.E.Caballero AT Lowes DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 17:57:10 -0500

Gentlemen;

I have been requested to install the Tivoli Tec Net application on a single TMR server which has been preloaded with AIX 5.1 and Sybase. I am having a bit of problem, after reviewing all the Installation Manuals and Release notes, I am absolutely no further along in understanding the step by step for loading and installing the Framework 3.7B, 3.7.1 application.  (Not that I am an expert on AIX; however, USL Sys 5 Ver 4.2 is not very different and between that and HPUX 10.01 I have about 10 years experience as Sys Admin, off and on.)

What I do not see is the details for loading FrameWork applications into the AIX server.  Do I use package add or is there a different interface for installing the application.  What permissions must I have can I simply be a member of staff or do I need to be root?  In order to tie the Framework into the Database through RIM do I need to also be the DBA for the Sybase database?  What init level should the machine be at on the installation, should it be in single user mode, multi-user mode or Networked Multi-User (Init 1, 2 or 3).  What are the device names that I should use to address the applications, can I simply use cd0 or do I need to perform the task from a CLI and use something like /dev/dsk/c0t0b0Io and cpio the files to /tmp?  Or are the files in tar and I need to copy the TAR to /tmp?

Will this help you to understand the quandary I have found my self with? I have searched the web for the last two days trying to locate any references in the Unix User groups trying to find if there is a special application interface.  I do not even know if you are using GNU or z.compress in relation to the data I need work with.  A nice little step by step, where I select my installation configuration and you build the scripts I need to follow would be very helpful.

Thank You,

L. David Cooke

Data Systems Analyst

Lowes Companies Inc.