nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Bump^ [nv-l] Off Topic .iso.org.<company-name>

2003-01-08 17:03:03
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Bump^ [nv-l] Off Topic .iso.org.<company-name>
From: Bill Evans <wvevans AT prodigy DOT net>
To: "Allison, Jason (JALLISON)" <JALLISON AT arinc DOT com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 17:03:03 -0500
The answer for your last question is; "Try looking at www.iso.ORG."  www.iso.com is an insurance industry site.  But it won't help.  They don't have anything on their site of interest regarding the topic.

The site of interest is owned by the International Committee on Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) and its predecessor/affiliate the International Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA).  ICANN doles out the numbers in conjunction with the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and IANA maintains the list.  I've seen numerous appends pointing to the proper site:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/enterprise-numbers
The second item to point out is that there will never be an iso.org.companyname.  The sequence is  .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprise.companyname (1.3.6.1.4.1.nnn) or 1.3.6.1.4.1.3876 for .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprise.ARINC .

There used to be a sequence in the NetView for Unix for Administrators class explaining how that all came about and how to interpret the MIB numbering.  I can send you the subset of Powerpoint slides I worked up for that area if you are interested.

Bill Evans

Allison, Jason (JALLISON) wrote:
Decided to bump this.  Hoping for comments of where .iso.org.<company name>
exists.  Thanks ...
---
After further discussion with coworkers, doesn't iso keep its own set from
.iso.org.XYZ?  I am still looking at www.iso.com, this ring a bell with
anyone?

Thanks,

Jason Allison