nv-l

Re: [nv-l] [NV] threshold monitoring and usage of /usr/OV/conf/location.conf

2003-01-03 05:17:58
Subject: Re: [nv-l] [NV] threshold monitoring and usage of /usr/OV/conf/location.conf
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 10:17:58 +0000
Hi Thorsten,
If you have NetView 7.1 or later then NetView will automatically place routers into "the lowest nested location that includes all of the network to which the router is connected" (Release Notes 7.1 p17). This has worked well for me. In addition, you can explicitly put entries for routers into location.conf. Switches do not appear at the top-level internet, only at the network level, so they will go wherever your location.conf says their containing network should go.

If you want a more command-line oriented way of customising data collection and thresholds, you can edit the file that lies behind this GUI - /usr/OV/conf/snmpCol.conf. I guess you will also have to bounce the snmpCollect daemon to make him reread this file. The advantage of manipulating snmpCol.conf directly is that you can also specify SNMP V2 MIB variables here, whereas the GUI only lets you specify SNMP V1.

Cheers,
Jane

Mildeberger, Thorsten wrote:

Hi list,
did anyone here in the forum already use /usr/OV/conf/location.conf for
saving some time in the process of putting "objects/symbols" to their final
destination? I´m asking this, cause we would like to put gateways
(router/switch) to their final map automatically as it means to spend some
extra efforts by doing this task automatically.

In addition to that I have another question in the area of threshold
monitoring via snmpCollect. Is there any other "easy" way to do threshold
monitoring next to the GUI based approach, i.e. may be a script that is
starting the collection of defined MIB variables for instance? Is there
someone one the list, who already gathered some experience with this?
Many thanks, it is greatly appreciated.

best regards,
Thorsten Mildeberger

EMS Solutions - SMC Tools & Automation
GOSD - Central Region
EDS Deutschland GmbH
Eisenstr. 43
65428 Rüsselsheim
Tel.: +49 (0) 6142 80-3706 Fax.: +49 (0) 6142 80-3030 mailto:thorsten.mildeberger AT eds DOT com