nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Hardware options

2003-01-02 18:24:13
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Hardware options
From: Stephen Hochstetler <shochste AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 17:24:13 -0600

Craig,

I have loaded NetView on F80s quite a few times.  It was my hardware of
choice a few years back.

This is a "it depends" answer.  Do you have performance toolbox?   It would
let you collect better data for knowing what you can do.   You also did not
mention the number of interfaces you manage, any snmp data you collect,
smartsets you have added, number of NetView clients, traps received per
hour...  etc.

I would suppose you are going into an LPAR on the 670.    NetView is made
up of many daemons, so running on or 4-way lets up to 4 of those run at a
time.  However, you will hardly ever find a 4-way completely used.  netmon
may have one 30% and trapd may have one 30% and others less.    And that is
only while the application is starting.  Then netmon settles down and trapd
is only active when traps are coming in.  They are not CPU intensive,
mostly it has sent requests to the network and is waiting on
a lot of snmp data collections.  Even so, it may be still good.  Trap
storms in the past could eat a box.  I would suggest you put a MLM in front
of your NetView as a trap filter before they get to NetView.   In case of a
storm you could turn off trap forwarding while fixing your device that is
flooding your mgmt system.  You can also filter out any trap that you don't
want NetView to see...which saves a lot of CPU.

With a well tuned system, you should sit on a fast 2-way just fine.   But I
would test it before committing to it.  :-)

Kind regards,
Stephen Hochstetler              shochste AT us.ibm DOT com
International Technical Support Organization at IBM
11400 Burnet Road   Austin, TX  78758
Office - 512-838-6198 (t/l 678)       FAX - 512-838-6931
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com

                      "Treptow, Craig"

                      <Treptow.Craig@pri        To:       "NetView List
(E-mail)"
                      ncipal.com>                <nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com>

                                                cc:

                      01/02/2003 04:23          Subject:  [nv-l] Hardware
options
                      PM

Hi.  Today we run AIX 5.1 on an H80, 4 CPU, with 2 GB RAM.  The group that
maintains the hardware has purchased two new pSeries 670's.  We are
considering moving to those, but if we do, we'd be allocated 1 CPU and 2 GB
RAM.

The hardware today is not taxed, and runs Netview quite well.  In general
it is about 95% idle.  I just restarted netmon, and see it using about 30%
CPU.  So, it appears that we could easily live in the new machine, but if
there were a problem, there wouldn't be money to spend on hardware
upgrades.

The machine only runs Netview, a caching DNS server, and the other Tivoli
managed node software (oserv, etc)

My gut feeling is that I should not move to one CPU, but view 2 CPU's as a
minimum. I think they'd be willing to do this.

Does anybody else have some real world experience with the new pSeries 670
(Regatta) hardware, or Netview's use of multiple CPU's that would be
helpful?

Thanks for anything you can share.

Craig

A dozen, a gross, and a score,
Plus three times the square root of four,
Divided by seven,
Plus five times eleven,
Equals nine squared plus zero, no more.