nv-l

[nv-l] Hardware options

2003-01-02 17:23:22
Subject: [nv-l] Hardware options
From: "Treptow, Craig" <Treptow.Craig AT principal DOT com>
To: "NetView List (E-mail)" <nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 16:23:22 -0600
Hi.  Today we run AIX 5.1 on an H80, 4 CPU, with 2 GB RAM.  The group that
maintains the hardware has purchased two new pSeries 670's.  We are considering
moving to those, but if we do, we'd be allocated 1 CPU and 2 GB RAM.

The hardware today is not taxed, and runs Netview quite well.  In general it is
about 95% idle.  I just restarted netmon, and see it using about 30% CPU.  So,
it appears that we could easily live in the new machine, but if there were a
problem, there wouldn't be money to spend on hardware upgrades.

The machine only runs Netview, a caching DNS server, and the other Tivoli
managed node software (oserv, etc)

My gut feeling is that I should not move to one CPU, but view 2 CPU's as a
minimum. I think they'd be willing to do this.

Does anybody else have some real world experience with the new pSeries 670
(Regatta) hardware, or Netview's use of multiple CPU's that would be helpful?

Thanks for anything you can share.

Craig

A dozen, a gross, and a score,
Plus three times the square root of four,
Divided by seven,
Plus five times eleven,
Equals nine squared plus zero, no more.