nv-l

Re: [nv-l] NetView & Framework Upgrade ???s

2003-01-02 17:20:21
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NetView & Framework Upgrade ???s
From: Gareth Holl <gholl AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: "Scherting, Mark" <mscherting AT state.mt DOT us>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 17:20:21 -0500

My two cents........you will need to upgrade AIX to ML10.

Before installing  AIX Maintenance, be sure to put ALL other NetView prereqs on first, otherwise the overal maintenance level will be downgraded and you will have to re-install the AIX Maintenance 10 before all NetView prereqs will be met.

Refer to the NetView 7.1 Release Notes, on page 84 for the NetView Software Requirements. The following filesets should be installed before applying AIX Maintenance:

1. X11.vfb (found on the AIX 4.3.3 CD's, disk 3 of 4)

This is Virtual Frame Buffer Software required for netviewd

2. bos.net.tcp.server

This is only required if you ever want to install MLM on the same AIX box as the NetView Server.

Regarding Framework, the advantage would depend on what else you use Framework for. If the answer is nothing, then you may even decide to remove the Framework as NetView is no longer dependant on it. Otherwise the only other consideration I can think of is staying current and watching the End-Of-Support date which is around March for v3.6.x I believe.

Gareth Holl
Staff Software Engineer
gholl AT us.ibm DOT com

IBM Software Group - Tivoli Brand
Research Triangle Park,  North Carolina.

"Scherting, Mark" <mscherting AT state.mt DOT us>

01/02/2003 04:45 PM