nv-l

Re: Routers that appears twice

1999-04-16 23:15:58
Subject: Re: Routers that appears twice
From: Paul Sandler <PMSandler AT AOL DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 23:15:58 EDT
I had the same experience on a NV5.1 server yesterday.  I have a router with
8 interfaces.  DNS has the same name for all of the interfaces.  IP Internet
submap had two objects.  One with 6 interfaces and the other with the
remaining two.  I deleted the object with two interfaces and did a demand
poll of the other object.  The remaining two interfaces were then added to
that object and all connections were corrected between objects.

My customer puts all the interface entries into DNS with the same name to
enable telnet sessions to make connection with the first up interface.
Although I have never seen DNS implemented this way in the past, this is the
first time I've seen double objects being discovered.

Paul Sandler

In a message dated 4/16/99 8:59:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time, xuhe AT YAHOO DOT
COM
writes:

<< Yes, we see this at our locations a lot.  For us, it's a problem with
 the DNS, for some strange reason, the WAN people at my client site
 decided to give a DNS name for each interface on the router.  It's not
 too briliant of an idea, but it's something i have to live with.
 During the initial discovery ping sweep, it sees the address and
 resolve a name to the address.  Since there are multiple DNS entries
 associated with the same router, it creates two entries in the map.