Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Changing Windows master to Linux master

2015-04-29 15:24:30
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Changing Windows master to Linux master
From: Dan Pritts <danno AT umich DOT edu>
To: scott.george AT parker DOT com
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 15:24:21 -0400

April 29, 2015 at 12:29 PM
If it is possible, I would run 2 parallel environments, one being your existing and the other being the new with your linux master.  Start backing up to the new and keep the old around until all of your backup images expire.  I went from an AIX master to Linux which is entirely doable without all of the professional services hubub, but it was easier to me to just migrate to the new through attrition.
This is what I did when faced with a similar situation.

The one caveat is you cannot share a media server between the two master servers.  If you have only a single tape subsystem that cannot be shared between two hosts, that will limit your options.
In case the OP doesn't know this, FYI many libraries can do "partitioning" so that each server sees part of the library and some of the tape drives.

--
Dan Pritts
ICPSR Computing & Network Services