Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Fiber channel robot device numbers auto-incrementing

2013-03-27 15:31:05
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Fiber channel robot device numbers auto-incrementing
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT water DOT com>
To: "<veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 19:30:59 +0000
I've seen our RHEL5 server running Qlogic HBAs lose information about our
Quantum i6000 tape library which is Fibre Channel.

Typically it appears the device simply is lost and a full reboot of the media
server would resolve it but of course you can't always reboot the media server.

Since we have redundant HBAs in our media server (for disks - tapes can't be
redundant on our library) I simply reset the HBAs one at a time and that seems
to resolve it.

I've used the script from Qlogic to do the reset:
/root/qlogic/ql-dynamic-tgt-lun-disc-2.5/ql-dynamic-tgt-lun-disc.sh.   You can
download the RPM for that from their site.

The script tells you not to have an I/O going but again so long as the disks
you're using are on redundant paths (i.e. using Linux multipath or EMC
PowerPath or some other multipathing) it actually resets the cards one at a
time so doesn't impact I/O to disks (except a momentary performance drop).

We have our master on RHEL6 and I've not seen this behavior there very often
but then again I'm more likely to boot the master since it ONLY does NetBackup
as opposed to the media server which runs major DBs.