Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VM File Level Backups and not Full VMDK with file level rest

2011-05-28 12:59:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VM File Level Backups and not Full VMDK with file level rest
From: mitch808 <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 09:59:13 -0700
Daniel, I'm still unsure what you are talking about.

There is Image level backup (VMDK)
There is Guest level backup (Traditional agent in guest)

You keep referring to file level backup?

VCB is dead.  Let's make that point clear.  vStorage is the replacement (for
most backup vendors).

With vStorage is Change Block Tracking (CBT)  Which means you can back up the
VMDK, then your incrementals/differentials are only the BLOCKS that have
changed and not the FULL vmdk like before in VCB.  Thus greater storage savings.

With vStorage, it only backed up the used space on the VMDK, and not any
whitespace within the guest.  Have a 30GB VMDK with only 10GB consumed, your
backup should only be 10GB.

Most backup vendors (Notice I've been agnostic thus far) when you choose their
"virtual agent," the cost if per physical host and covers unlimited guests.  So
you can choose to back up either method.  The more you virtualize, generally
speaking the cheaper the virtual agent becomes vs traditional licensing.

So that said, I'm pretty sure NetBackup can do what you want, and actually use
LESS storage than VCB.  Add to that, if you license with an Enterprise client,
that covers an UNLIMITED # of guest machines per physical machine.

Outside of that, if you want to save space, you will want an agent based
solution that does client based dedupe like Avamar or Symantec's dedupe (though
it's not as good as Avamar) or some sort of other vStorage compatible product
like Veeam or vRanger which have some sort of dedupe in their products too.