Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VM File Level Backups and not Full VMDK with file level rest

2011-05-26 02:45:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VM File Level Backups and not Full VMDK with file level rest
From: mitch808 <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 23:45:23 -0700
What do you mean "File level backups?"

There is either image level (entire VMDK) or guest level (agent within guest)
Which NBU can do both, among many other backup vendors.

VCB is so last year.  the new vStorage API's can use Change Block tracking
(CBT) so you dont have to send the entire VMDK each time.  This was a VCB
limitation.

I know Avamar is one great solution that takes CBT even further by deduping
even the CBT blocks.