Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] LTO3 to LTO4 conversion

2010-05-03 18:03:20
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] LTO3 to LTO4 conversion
From: Jeff Cleverley <jeff.cleverley AT avagotech DOT com>
To: Nate Sanders <sandersn AT dmotorworks DOT com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 16:03:14 -0600
Nate,

If your library is not checking the suffix for tape density, the
barcode label doesn't really matter.  It should figure out what
density the tape is when it looks at the tape and will write
accordingly.  I did this at one point because our gen 3 tapes labels
came in with "L2" on the end.  We told the library not to look at the
suffix and it writes 700-800 gig per tape.  We kept the tapes as type
hcart which is what the others were set for.  It seems to have worked
fine.

By setting ours up this way it would try to write to either a gen2 or
a gen3 tapes depending on the allocation order.  As we wanted to get
rid of the older tapes, we just pulled all the old tapes from the
library and put them in if there was a restore request.  We didn't
change pools or media types and everything went along fine.  Once the
tapes expired we destroyed them.

We have only set up 3 barcode rules so we haven't had much of an issue
with labels.  It takes anything that is not a cleaning tape or has an
unreadable label and puts it in the scratch pool when they are first
scanned.  Some people have very complex barcode schemes due to their
environment.  I can see where things could get tricky if you have a
lot of rules for off-site tape, different retention periods, etc.

Jeff

--
Jeff Cleverley
Unix Systems Administrator