Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Master/Media combo running in a solaris zone?

2010-01-04 08:24:07
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Master/Media combo running in a solaris zone?
From: "William Brown" <william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 14:20:56 +0100
I think if you read the latest from Symantec they do now support the Master
Server in a virtual machine (including zones), and Media Servers provided they
write only to network-attached storage.  So for example you can use an OST
storage device.  You cannot use as a storage unit tape, or any other FC or
SCSI-attached device directly from a non-global zone.

So the strict answer to your first question is "Yes".

As to the Snapshot again the answer is Yes, but as the EMM database is a Sybase
database you can only do the snapshot after you've run the Hot Catalogue
backup, as you need the first stage to run that exports a copy to the /staging
area, and you could snapshot that.  I don't think you'll get support from
Symantec for recovery from a snapshot of the live database, e.g. just relying
on that and the database logs. There's no process for backing up the
transaction logs like you get with Oracle; I think they just protect against
server crashes.  Without the hot catalog backup you may not get the Sybase
in-memory data flushed to disk.

As to whether you can design a DR process that just uses the ZFS 'send'
capability to ship frequent snapshots of the /staging to a DR site I'm not sure
- you would still be left having to recover the catalogue.  It probably would
save time if you were using snapshots of the OS and /opt/openv, if you can cut
out the need to reinstall NetBackup on the DR server.

As noted the answer to your third question is 'no'.  However I've not pushed to
see what support there might be for iSCSI....

William D L Brown