Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Drives disappearing on SUN servers with i2000 library

2010-01-04 08:09:48
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Drives disappearing on SUN servers with i2000 library
From: "William Brown" <william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 14:07:51 +0100

We use the same libraries though we’ve not yet started to heavily load the LTO4s.   We use point-to-point for the links from the IO blades in the library to the SAN (also Brocade).  I’ve not seen them go away.

Things worth checking – drive firmware (though I assume you’ve seen from the library RAS log that the drives don’t drop off the IO blade) ; library firmware; switch error log and port error counts; what is written in /var/adm/messages.

32 drives is a lot – way more than I’d expect a 5240 to be capable of driving – I doubt it can drive even 16.  Have you checked with Symantec what they think is the right CPU power for an LTO4, and I guess the GbE/10GbE that is delivering the data?  We are using just 4 LTO4s on each T5220 we have, so that might be 8 on a T5240 – though the T5240 does not have the 10GbE on-chip.

Once the SAN connection is up whether it is loop or point-to-point, auto-negotiated or locked at 4Gb/s should make no difference.

Also consider how many LTO4s you have per FC port on the T5240s – I guess you will have quite a few if you plan to stream that many drives.   I guess the drive could run out of something if you had too many on a single port, but I’m not sure.  I think there is driver tracing available but unless you can easily recreate the problem I think that would kill your server.

William D L Brown