Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Master/Media combo running in a solaris zone?

2010-01-09 04:25:21
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Master/Media combo running in a solaris zone?
From: "William Brown" <william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 10:24:27 +0100
I would still separate them if you can afford the hardware.  The EMM server and
Sybase server are greedy and not yet multithreaded.  That said I think the T2
servers should be good as there are lots of threads for the lots of daemons on
a Master.

The Media Server is all about connection to real devices.  Now if those devices
were really just OST type, network attached, that shifts the game a bit.  But
if they are on fibre channel or SCSI, sooner or later you will be rebooting the
Media Server to sort out some fault.  Keeping the Media Server separate
(especially if you can make yourself a pair or more to act as a load-balanced
pool) makes that reboot less disruptive.

If the Media Server is OST-only you are less likely to need to reboot it.  But
if you wanted to put say PDDO on it, that is going to be a heavy CPU load.  The
T5240 does not have the 10GbE on the CPU like the T5220, and you don't want the
network load on the Media Server to impact the Master Server.  If that was the
only Media Server it may not matter.

For a small site I'd just do it, and say a T5240 was nice and generous.  They
wouldn't sell the 'NetBackup Server' (2-tier) if there was not a reason.  And
on a small site a reboot of a combined master/media is not going to be an issue.

William D L Brown