Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Synthetic Backups

2009-07-08 01:55:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Synthetic Backups
From: Crowey <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 01:51:59 -0400

cpreston wrote:
> And you're verifying that the original full does not need to be kept around?

OK ... I missed two important points I guess.  With a 1 month retention period,
I always have 4 (weekly) synthetic backups in my library, and so yes I've never
had any problem about recovering files very quickly that were/are less than one
month old.

However, we do also have another separate policy that duplicates the most
recent synthetic copy to another set of tapes for our EOM set.

And, again, I've restored from our EOM tapes (from various months/years) more
than enough times to know that the process works just fine.

And I do know for sure that we do not keep an initial full backup - it expires
(after one month) like any other backup.  Its the seed for the initial
synthetic, but then its no longer required - moreover, its no longer useful (in
the synthetic backup process) if you don't have differentials that date back to
the creation of that 'seed' full backup.

Is that clearer? Anything else that I missed?