Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Synthetic Backups

2009-07-07 20:25:11
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Synthetic Backups
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 00:21:55 +0000
On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 10:11:46AM +1000, Dean wrote:
> >From what I've read, and from what Curtis says below, you DON'T need to keep
> the original full backup around, once you've created at least one more
> synethtic full backup. You can do just one full backup, then keep creating
> synthetic fulls by merging the previous synthetic full with incrementals,
> forever. The original full backup does not need to be retained as long is
> there is always at least one unexpired synthetic full available.

That is not what the admin guide says (I'm looking at Admin guide 1 for
UNIX NBU 6.5, page 128).  I had assumed this would be possible, but it
says a non-synthetic full must be used as the source.

Synthetic backup
    A synthetic full or synthetic cumulative incremental backup is a
    backup assembled from previous backups. The backups include one
    previous, traditional full backup, and subsequent differential
    backups and/or a cumulative incremental backup. (A traditional full
    backup means a non-synthesized, full backup.) A client can then use
    the synthesized backup to restore files and directories in the same
    way that a client restores from a traditional backup.

--
Darren