Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Synthetic Backups

2009-07-07 16:42:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Synthetic Backups
From: cpreston <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 16:39:11 -0400

> I've been testing it myself. I think you do need to keep that full backup
> around. The "synthetic" part of a synthetic backup is the consolidation of
> the full backup and the incrementals into a single image. This is done via
> duplication.

What makes it synthetic is that it is created tape to tape instead of
transferring a bunch of non-changed data from the client again.  Once that new
(synthetic) full is created, there is no need for previous fulls (other than
for retention).  The new full DOES NOT rely on the old full once it's created.