Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Shared Stroage Options (SSO) with Vitual Tape Library (VTL)

2008-08-08 10:30:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Shared Stroage Options (SSO) with Vitual Tape Library (VTL)
From: selwyn <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 10:02:32 -0400
The only issue I can forsee is with SCSI reservations.  The reservation request
is issued by the server, but the reservations are implemented at the tape
drive.  Even with actual tape drives we ran into issues where a tape drive was
reserved by a server but when the release for the reservation was issued it was
not implemented by the tape drive.

The nebackup engineers blame the issue on improper SCSI command's issued by the
OS, the OS engineers blame the tape drives, and the tape drives support team
blames the backup application and the OS.  I am glad to no longer be using SSO.
 98% of the reservation and release orders function properly but those other 2%
created a large number of mild headaches.