Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Shared Stroage Options (SSO) with Vitual Tape Library (VTL)

2008-08-08 08:56:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Shared Stroage Options (SSO) with Vitual Tape Library (VTL)
From: spaldam <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 08:43:43 -0400
We are converting to capacity based licensing, and SSO is included in the
Enterprise tier that we are getting, so no licensing concerns are involved.

The reason I'm looking at using SSO is because the VTL only supports up to 30
virtual drives or 30 streams of data at a time, and since it's also does
de-duplication, we cannot use multiplexing or we loose the effectiveness of the
de-duplication.

30 drives between 6 servers, means we can only do 5 streams at a time when
evenly divided up.  With SSO, we can allow one server to do up to 30 at a time
when it's heavily loaded, or non when it's idle.  Hopefully that makes more
sense to everyone now, and we can actually talk about any of the more technical
reasons why it might not work to well.

This won't be our final configuration, but before I know for certain what that
final configuration needs to look like, it would be helpful to know if I'm
going to run into any problems with functionality using SSO on a VTL.