Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] how to backup lots of small files

2007-08-08 15:27:54
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] how to backup lots of small files
From: Jared.Seaton AT mylanlabs DOT com
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 14:57:39 -0400

gturner, you do realize that the reason your backup times decreased, was because you are no longer backup up all of the mount points on your unix system?  Probably making the backup worthless, depending on how the system is setup.

Jared M. Seaton
Recovery Administrator
Mylan Laboratories Inc.
304-554-5926

"gturner" <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

08/08/2007 02:53 PM
Please respond to
VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu]  Re: how to backup lots of small files

Mark, have you unchecked "Cross Mount Points"
I went through a similar situation with one of our Solaris servers.  After unchecking that box, my backup times reduced by atleast 50%.

mark wragge wrote:
> what is the best way to backup a solaris server copntaining millions of small files. is flashbackup the quickest way?
>
> the backup is currently taking over one day for 250gb and we suspect that it is the large number of files.
>
> thanks
>
>  Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may contain legally privileged, proprietary and/or confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution, duplication or other use of this message and/or its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message and its attachments.  Thank you.