Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Help With Netbackup 5.1

2007-08-08 21:43:00
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Help With Netbackup 5.1
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 20:27:32 -0500
It sounds like you're trying to write what Aptare StorageConsole already
does.  SC takes the NetBackup data (and data from other backup systems),
loads into an Oracle database, and gives you a web-based front-end (and xml
and shell-script back end if you want) to generate reports about your backup
environment.

To write it yourself would be a major undertaking.  It's certainly doable -
NetBackup gives you the command line interfaces to generate the data you
need and gives you hooks into start/end of job procedures to trigger the
captures.  However, you need to remember that some of the commands you need
will change from release to release and could change in the middle of a
release.  Some of the commands may be unsupported by Symantec (many of their
command line tools are).

Many people have thrown together their own perl or shell scripts to generate
reports from their environment.  The documentation is out there.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org