Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] VTL and Tape or SnapVault.

2007-07-27 16:59:54
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] VTL and Tape or SnapVault.
From: Wayne T Smith <wts AT maine DOT edu>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 16:37:58 -0400
You might want to look at the new NetApp options in NBU v6.5.

NetApp and Symantec seemed to have found a pot of gold in this NetApp
data backup area.  I recently asked for a quote on a NetApp (backup
disk) solution to backup one of our 3050 boxes ... and they came up with
a proposal that included a box bigger than the 3050 loaded shelves of
disk and an abundance of software licenses.  It *seemed* that NetBackup
couldn't "see" what files were changed in the incremental snapshot
changes, so at the moment I'm underwhelmed.

At this point in time, I like the simplicity of disk backup devices with
inline dedup and internal function to long-term protect the backups
(Data Domain seems to have the "right" idea to me).  The NetBackup
catalog will get large ... but doing away with tape seems a positive,
not a negative, to me.

This is a very interesting area and I'd love to read discussion from all
of you.

cheers, wayne