Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] VTL and Tape or SnapVault.

2007-07-29 05:59:54
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] VTL and Tape or SnapVault.
From: "Hampus Lind" <hampus.lind AT rps.police DOT se>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 11:38:25 +0200
Hi Pat,

If it was possible for me I would go with a disk based solution of some
kind. And if you don?t have the need for netbackup and already have netapp`s
software onsite and are familiar with that software, maybe that is best for
you. I would try to eliminate so many hardware/softwares as possible in the
chain of handling backup and restore. Less is more. One box, one tool....
God, that would be great..

The important thing is not to do what everyone else is doing; it is to do
what is right for your environment. If you don?t have the need for netbackup
and tapes, don?t go that way.

Although, if you have a large amount of data that you need to keep for 7
years, then maybe tape would be more economic.

We are looking into VTL`s with dedup (awaiting netapp to release there dedup
function), and hope to reduce the need for tape big time...

If I could go all disk, I would. But with large data amounts the need for
cooling, floor space, electrics and such tape still bring me a great value.

Hopefully dedup gives us a more "equal" situation between disk and tape, and
then, the choice becomes easy for me. Still I would like to replicate and
duplicate data of to another disk or maybe tape for long time store..

Though it do feel a little bit scary to only have ONE baseline copy, but I
guess that goes for other disk based dedup solution as well. Could you also
replicate the "backup box" to another box? Now it starts getting to
expensive maybe...

Good luck. :-)

Hampus Lind
Rikspolisstyrelsen
National Police Board
Tel dir: +46 (0)8 - 401 99 43
Tel mob: +46 (0)70 - 217 92 66
E-mail: hampus.lind AT rps.police DOT se