Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Newbie to Netbackup using VTL

2007-05-13 13:00:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Newbie to Netbackup using VTL
From: clem at re-thinking-it.com (Clem Kruger)
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 19:00:03 +0200
Good day to you all,

Those of you who are thinking of using VTL's I would urge to re think
that technology. There are so many issues, the main being you are still
bound by SCSI rules. Another fact is that you need to delete tapes that
have been expired to claim back the "Disk" space. Have you heard of poor
media on VTL? Yes you get it and it is serious.

As far as backing up to VTL and then to tape, it is best to do an
in-line backup, where you backup to both VTL and real tape at the same
time.

NetBackup has released their Disk to Disk API to the public Domain and
we will soon be out of this interim phase of VTL's.

I am current investigating DataDomain which works extremely well with
NetBackup. I find the amount of space being saved is quite phenomenal.
The speed of backups is exceptional. There is also a wonderful
replication facility which guarantees your data to you off sire storage
in no time at all.

I have attached a PDF document for all y'all to look at, for more go to
http://www.datadomain.com/ where you will find more detail.

Good luck and may the force be with you :)

Kind Regards,

Clem Kruger