Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Newbie to Netbackup using VTL

2007-05-14 00:18:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Newbie to Netbackup using VTL
From: backupicici at gmail.com (Veritas Netbackup)
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 09:48:29 +0530
I have tried answering a few of your questions.

On 5/13/07, dy018 <netbackup-forum at backupcentral.com> wrote:

> Thanks for everyone input. But i'm still abit confuse.
> Maybe who can help ans the following to let me have a better
> understanding.
>
> Let's say i have 100 LAN clients altogether in 4 locations backing up thru
> their media servers in their repective locations and the NAS will backup
> directly thru NDMP to the tape library. My requirement is to backup both LAN
> clients and NAS to the VTL and from VTL to IBM tape library and some of the
> more critical backup will be using vaulting to duplicate tape to send
> offsite. How would you recommand? If this is too much to ask of you, can you
> help me with the following so that at least i can understand better?
>
> 1. Does a Virtual Tape Library have robot arm in the master server GUI?

Yes a VTL will look exactly like a robotic library. Robots and drives, but
in abundance :)

2. In general, media Server do not share a tape media with other media
> server, hence in the VTL contain images from different client using
> differernt media servers. Can all these images from different media server
> able to write to the LTO3 tape? (I'm still not excatly sure how to do backup
> from VTL to the actual tape library)

You will have to use Vault or create your own script to vault the images to
LTO3 tape. If your robotic library is not connected to the media server,
then you have the alternate media server option in Vault, here the images
will be transferred over network.

3. Can i set a policy retention of 1 week and written to VTL and set another
> retention period of 3 weeks for the images when write to the actual tape
> library from the VTL?

Yes, easy if you have vault.

4. Can we expire/delete images from the VTL after backing up into the LTO3
> tape to free up more space in VTL? If yes, does it means that the catalog
> will have 2 entries of the same image in different storage location?

Yes, if you have the list of duplicated images, then you can use the
bpexpdate command to expire the images.

5. Can client choose to restore either from VTL or Tape Media themselves?

Yes

6. How can we monitor backup from VTL to actual tape drive, someone suggest
> BPDUPLICATE? some say using NSRclone. Can activity monitor able to trace the
> backup success?

 7. In the VTL, can we set how much data can a Virual tape media hold? If
there a barcode for Virtual media as well? If yes, does this media id be
same as the physical LTO3?

> Thank you

But as commented in by Stuart, Vault is is not effective if you have large
chunks of data to be duplicated. We had been using it in 5.1MP4, and the
speeds were really low, and if your vault ends partially, there is no good
report of the failed images (atleast in my knowledge), you will have to scan
through the logs to find them.

Regards,
PP BIJU KRISHNAN