Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Newbie to Netbackup using VTL

2007-05-13 09:17:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Newbie to Netbackup using VTL
From: netbackup-forum at backupcentral.com (dy018)
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 06:17:35 -0700
Thanks for everyone input. But i'm still abit confuse.
Maybe who can help ans the following to let me have a better understanding.

Let's say i have 100 LAN clients altogether in 4 locations backing up thru
their media servers in their repective locations and the NAS will backup
directly thru NDMP to the tape library. My requirement is to backup both LAN
clients and NAS to the VTL and from VTL to IBM tape library and some of the
more critical backup will be using vaulting to duplicate tape to send offsite.
How would you recommand? If this is too much to ask of you, can you help me
with the following so that at least i can understand better?

1. Does a Virtual Tape Library have robot arm in the master server GUI?

2. In general, media Server do not share a tape media with other media server,
hence in the VTL contain images from different client using differernt media
servers. Can all these images from different media server able to write to the
LTO3 tape? (I'm still not excatly sure how to do backup from VTL to the actual
tape library)

3. Can i set a policy retention of 1 week and written to VTL and set another
retention period of 3 weeks for the images when write to the actual tape
library from the VTL?

4. Can we expire/delete images from the VTL after backing up into the LTO3 tape
to free up more space in VTL? If yes, does it means that the catalog will have
2 entries of the same image in different storage location?

5. Can client choose to restore either from VTL or Tape Media themselves?

6. How can we monitor backup from VTL to actual tape drive, someone suggest
BPDUPLICATE? some say using NSRclone. Can activity monitor able to trace the
backup success?

7. In the VTL, can we set how much data can a Virual tape media hold? If there
a barcode for Virtual media as well? If yes, does this media id be same as the
physical LTO3?

Thank you