Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tuning Solaris 10 for NetBackup Media Server

2007-05-04 15:47:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tuning Solaris 10 for NetBackup Media Server
From: blaine_robison at yahoo.com (Blaine Robison)
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 12:47:42 -0700 (PDT)
I am curious as to what the total throughput of these T2000 servers are. How
many LTO3 drives can you run. And how much data is moving through the network
to tape via the T2000.

I have heard lots of people talk about them but never numbers.

--- netbackup-forum at backupcentral.com wrote:

> Honestly, you shouldn't have to do much.
>
> As long as the media server is gigE and your tape drives are working properly
> (FC ones are pretty easy) I would just make sure you got the buffers set
> something higher than the default:
>
> /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS
> /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS
>
> Solaris 10 defaults to 25% of system memory for shared memory.  As long as
> you have more than a couple GB I recommend you use 64 and 262144
> respectively.  Your mpx settings also calculate into how much max shared mem
> will get used by buffers.
>
> We've had great success with our T2000 servers that use FC LTO3.  In our
> environment, some higher end linux/solaris clients over the network can write
> 70-80MB/sec cumulatively via a couple jobs multiplexed to a single LTO3
> drive.  We have the 8 core 8GB T2000 systems and they don't even break a
> sweat (load <.5  0% iowait, etc).  We usually load em up with lots of other
> tasks.
>
> Windows clients just don't backup very fast over the network, even tuned.
> You'll have to mpx several of those clients to a single drive just to meet
> the native write speed.

Blaine Robison
Solaris Ceritfied System Administrator
Solaris Certified Network Administrator