Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Tuning Solaris 10 for NetBackup Media Server

2007-05-05 16:48:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Tuning Solaris 10 for NetBackup Media Server
From: netbackup-forum at backupcentral.com (sauderd)
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 13:48:39 -0700
Before we put our T2000's into service as Netbackup master servers, I
benchmarked their network throughput using ttcp and it was amazing.  We pushed
5 simultaneous ttcp streams into the T2000 for a cumulative throughput of 495
MB/sec (that's megabytes).  All of this was without it breaking a sweat on the
CPU--quite low utilization.  Take careful note that we were using the 6/06
version of Solaris 10; it takes advantage of the GLDv3 rewrite of the Solaris
10 networking stack, including network link aggregation.

We put it into service as a Netbackup master server and we aggregated 6
incoming GigE links.  Like the post above, I used 256K as the buffer size
(recommended by the the LTO3 drive manufacturer, HP).  I used empirical methods
to find the miniumal number of buffers that still provided benefit.  I doubled
the number of buffers, tested, doubled, tested, etc.  I found that 128 buffer
provide a slight increase in speed vs. 64 buffers.  But beyond 128 there was no
gain.