Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup 5.1 Windows master at 32 bit and NetBackup 5.1 media servers at 64 bit

2006-05-31 11:05:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 5.1 Windows master at 32 bit and NetBackup 5.1 media servers at 64 bit
From: SJACOBSO at novell.com (Scott Jacobson)
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 09:05:14 -0600
Ed,

You may want to take another peek at the 5.x OS compatibility list.

http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/263839.pdf

at the top of page 3 (ending on page 5) there are lists for several
flavors of Linux OS that are compatible with 5.1 "servers" (which also
includes media servers) using, among others, AMD64 based systems.

I'm currently using an HP DL385 AMD64 Opteron based system as a media
server at 5.1 MP4 with no problems or issues.

Regards,
Scott

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 02:38:16PM -0400, Patricia Harmon wrote:
> I have  NetBackup running 5.1 MP4 on Windows master and media
servers.
> I am upgrading the media servers hardware only and would like to use
> 64 bit.  Does anyone know if this is supported or know of problems?
> see from the release notes 64 bit is supported on Windows but I
don't
> know if a media server can be at higher OS level than the master
> server.

This is not supported.  64-bit is only supported for clients on 5.1,
not
media servers.  To have 64-bit media servers, you'll need to upgrade
6.0.  This is what we're doing for the same reason...

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org