Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup List

2006-01-29 13:53:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup List
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 12:53:50 -0600
* William <weiduo.deng AT gmail DOT com> [2006-01-29 11:40]:
> On 1/28/06, Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 12:24:45PM -0500, William wrote:
> > > I am writing a report for both TSM and NBU. I can get the report as
> > below
> > > easily with SQL in TSM,but don't have a clue in NBU. Can anybody shed
> > some
> > > light? Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Server_NAME PLATFORM_NAME CLIENT_VERSION FILESPACE_NAME BACKUP_START
> > BACKUP_END
> >
> > There really isn't a good way of getting this information, especially
> > historically.  Many of us have purchased Aptare's StorageConsole to get
> > this type of information.
> >
> > Getting a client version in NetBackup is *hard*.  Veritas really, really
> > screwed up this and there is no consistent easy way of getting the
> > version for all clients.
> >
> >        .../Ed
> > --
> > Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
> > mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org
> >

> Thanks Ed. Seems like I can get a client version from GUI. However, how can
> I get a directoreies/filesystems backup start/end timestamp? which is not
> historical, just the latest one.

Part of what Ed is talking about is that NetBackup is unreliable when
telling you what the client version is.  The GUI is especially bad at
giving an accurate report of the client version.  Generally, the best
you will get that you can depend on is the last major release version
(e.g. You installed 4.5FP6 and patched to 4.5FP8, the GUI would probably
report 4.5FP6).  bpcoverage tends to be more accurate, but still not
perfect.

As for filesystems/ backup times, there are a couple ways you might
approach this.  bpdbjobs -all_columns will give you a comma-separated
list per backupid of all the details of that job, including the filelist
and start and end times.  This is what I use most often to get general
details about backups.  You could also use bplist and bpverify to get
details about what NBU has in its database, but it involves a fair
amount of cross-referencing.

--
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com