Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU Catalog/Indexing Question?

2005-08-30 19:18:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU Catalog/Indexing Question?
From: DKatauskas AT nst-inc DOT com (Daryl Katauskas)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:18:30 -0500
NBU Folks:

Have been observing some curious behavior from NBU v5.1 MP3a (Windows 2003
Server) the past few days.  We've been testing a new Master/Media Server and
several SAN Media servers (Windows File System Backups/MS Exchange Mailbox
Level Backups).

We've had a few jobs fail with non-zero (Exit Code 41) or 156 errors.  We've
found that although the Activity Monitor showed actual data written to tape, in
both cases, we were not able to "browse" these backups via the Backup/Restore
application.

After fixing the problems and re-starting the jobs, we were then able to get
status 0 backups with no issues.

My question is this, is there anyway to manually index the tape that these
images were written to and be able to browse the portion of data that was
backed up during the original failed jobs.

>From what I've observed, you are not able to browse a backup's contents in the
>Restore App until it has successfully (Exit Code 0/1) completed.  This is very
>different behaviour than Backup Exec.

Any insight or recommendations would be most welcome.

Daryl Katauskas
NST, Inc.