Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU Catalog/Indexing Question?

2005-08-31 07:31:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU Catalog/Indexing Question?
From: dean.deano AT gmail DOT com (Dean)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:31:01 +1000
------=_Part_3039_2462464.1125487861646

Daryl,

Short answer - No, there's no way to get to the data that was written to=20
tape before the error, as far as I know. The entire backup image needs to b=
e=20
written and cataloged before any of the data is accessible for restore,=20
regardless of what the activity monitor tells you. Only a status code of 0=
=20
or 1 is acceptable. Any other status code, you need to consider the entire=
=20
backup image as *gone*.

Perhaps, if you're not multiplexing, you might be able to recover some of i=
t=20
using tar.

I'm sure somebody else will be able to shed more light.

-Dean

On 8/31/05, Daryl Katauskas <DKatauskas AT nst-inc DOT com> wrote:
>=20
> NBU Folks:
>=20
> Have been observing some curious behavior from NBU v5.1 MP3a (Windows 200=
3=20
> Server) the past few days. We've been testing a new Master/Media Server a=
nd=20
> several SAN Media servers (Windows File System Backups/MS Exchange Mailbo=
x=20
> Level Backups).
>=20
> We've had a few jobs fail with non-zero (Exit Code 41) or 156 errors.=20
> We've found that although the Activity Monitor showed actual data written=
 to=20
> tape, in both cases, we were not able to "browse" these backups via the=
=20
> Backup/Restore application.
>=20
> After fixing the problems and re-starting the jobs, we were then able to=
=20
> get status 0 backups with no issues.
>=20
> My question is this, is there anyway to manually index the tape that thes=
e=20
> images were written to and be able to browse the portion of data that was=
=20
> backed up during the original failed jobs.
>=20
> From what I've observed, you are not able to browse a backup's contents i=
n=20
> the Restore App until it has successfully (Exit Code 0/1) completed. This=
 is=20
> very different behaviour than Backup Exec.
>=20
> Any insight or recommendations would be most welcome.
>=20
> Daryl Katauskas
> NST, Inc.
>=20

------=_Part_3039_2462464.1125487861646

Daryl,<br>
Short answer - No, there's no way to get to the data that was written
to tape before the error, as far as I know. The entire backup image
needs to be written and cataloged before any of the data is accessible
for restore, regardless of what the activity monitor tells you. Only a
status code of 0 or 1 is acceptable. Any other status code, you need to
consider the entire backup image as *gone*.<br>
Perhaps, if you're not multiplexing, you might be able to recover some of i=
t using tar.<br>
I'm sure somebody else will be able to shed more light.<br>
-Dean<br>
me">Daryl Katauskas</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:DKatauskas AT nst-inc DOT
com">DKata=
uskas AT nst-inc DOT com</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote"
st=
yle=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex=
; padding-left: 1ex;">
NBU Folks:<br><br>Have
been observing some curious behavior from NBU v5.1 MP3a (Windows 2003
Server) the past few days.&nbsp;&nbsp;We've been testing a new
Master/Media Server and several SAN Media servers (Windows File System
Backups/MS Exchange Mailbox Level Backups).<br><br>We've had a few jobs
fail with non-zero (Exit Code 41) or 156 errors.&nbsp;&nbsp;We've found
that although the Activity Monitor showed actual data written to tape,
in both cases, we were not able to &quot;browse&quot; these backups via the
Backup/Restore application.<br><br>After fixing the problems and re-startin=
g the jobs, we were then able to get status 0 backups with no issues.<br><b=
r>My
question is this, is there anyway to manually index the tape that these
images were written to and be able to browse the portion of data that
was backed up during the original failed jobs.<br><br>From what I've
observed, you are not able to browse a backup's contents in the Restore
App until it has successfully (Exit Code 0/1)
completed.&nbsp;&nbsp;This is very different behaviour than Backup Exec.<br=
br>Veritas-bu maillist&nbsp;&nbsp;-&nbsp;&nbsp;
mailman DOT eng=
.auburn.edu</a><br><a href=3D"http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinf=