Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup 5.0 clients on OS X Tiger?

2005-05-25 12:08:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 5.0 clients on OS X Tiger?
From: rob AT worman DOT org (Rob Worman)
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 11:08:55 -0500
On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 08:11:41AM -0500 or thereabouts, Gene Hopstetter, Jr.
wrote:
> I have Tiger installed on one G5, and NetBackup Enterprise 5.0 is
> failing with "backup of client xxx exited with status 57 (client
> connection refused)." It stars the process bpbrm, connects, begins
> writing, and then the connection to the hose is refused.
>
> All the proper firewall ports are open (and firewall logs don't show
> any errors), the client software has been reinstalled several times,
> and all settings on client and server confirmed. Still, Tiger is not
> being backed up.  There's no telling what changed in Tiger to break
> this process.
>
> Veritas' answer is that OS X Tiger is not supported, and they can't
> tell me if Tiger support in the feature list for NetBackup 6.0.  I
> will not upgrade anymore clients to Tiger until I hear something from
> Veritas about this, which is no big deal, really.
>
> Is anyone else working with Tiger and NetBackup Enterprise 5.0 having
> any success?

Gene-

I have no problem doing backups/restores on a fresh installation of MacOSX
10.4.1

My NBU master is solaris, NBU 5.0 MP4
I installed the NBU client software on my powerbook "tigertest" by doing the
following:

(1) configured a new NBU policy with "tigertest" listed as a client (MacOSX10.2)
(2) added "tigertest <ip-address>" to my master server /etc/hosts file
(3) enabled FTP in the 10.4.1 sharing prefpane (disabled it again after (4) )
(4) ran the following command on my master server:
    install_client_files ftp tigertest <username>
(5) then ran the following command on tigertest:
    sudo sh /tmp/bp/bin/client_config

I could then do backups and restores all I liked, without a status 57 error
anywhere.

I now suspect that perhaps you UPGRADED this mac to 10.4? and that the NBU
client software that's currently installed is what was installed atop OSX
10.3.x?

If so, then I'm quite certain that the OSX upgrade blew away the xinetd
configuration files that the NBU client relies upon.  (OSX upgrades are known
occasionally do stuff like this.... :-( )

If it's practical, I'd suggest you reinstall the NBU client on that mac, and
I bet things will start working for you.  (ditto for your OSX Server running
10.4)

HTH
rob