Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disk staging & duplication NBU 5

2005-05-25 12:08:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disk staging & duplication NBU 5
From: jeffm AT nicusa DOT com (Jeff McCombs)
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 12:08:14 -0400
Actually, once I increased the 'maximum backup copies' setting, I was able
to turn on the multiple-copies in the disk-staging unit.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to configure separate retention levels for each
copy like I can in at the schedule level.

So I'm back to square one. What I'm aiming for is the ability to backup to
disk with TIR for all clients, then move that data to two separate tape
pools, the first is designed for short-retention periods and kept on-site at
all times, the second pool is for offsite rotation (rotated weekly)

Currently, I do this by setting the backup schedule "multiple copy" option
to send data to two different staging groups:

        staging-weekly-offsite - retention 6 months
        staging-weekly-short - retention 3 weeks

The above DSSUs check for new data every 24 hours, each sending data to a
different pool (weekly-offsite, weekly-short).

Problem is, is that when I do this kind of thing, data streamed from the
client is sent to two different locations on disk, effectively duplicating
the data on the media server. Our larger NFS systems for example, which
contain 400G of data, effectively pushes the disk requirements @ the media
server up to 800G - and that's for just 1 system. Toss in Mail and database
systems and I'm up close to 2TB of storage. That's a lot of disk just for
backups. (I don't DSSU these currently, I don't have the space, but we'd
like to)

Not an ideal situation. We like the staging because of of the speed
increases, and having the local copy on disk for a day or two before it's
deleted is awful nice, especially when there's been the odd "whoops forgot
to swap tapes" issue with a Jr admin (read: Tape Boy), or we find an issue
with the libraries or media.

But, the disk requirements are getting a little hard for us to swallow, and
I'm looking at bringing another 200-300G of storage online in the next few
months. Duplicating that amount of disk on the media system is going to be
hard to justify to the pointy-hair types.. I've already had to drop from a
RAID 0+1 config, to RAID-5 on the array attached, and I'm not liking the
prospect of not doing anything but RAID-0 because I need that extra disk to
continue with our existing DSSU/Schedule configuration.

I suppose one option would be to configure multiple-copies at the schedule
level, with 1 copy going to DSSU, and another to tape directly, but that
seems... Wrong somehow. The differences in media speeds (disk vs. tape) are
immense, and I can't help but to think that the backup will only go as fast
as the slowest media device, so I'll be back to the 3-4 hour backups for our
largest systems.

Paul, you mentioned you do something similar with Vault. I'm not as familiar
with Vault as I should be, though I did manage to get a license for it into
our '05 budget. Suppose I'm going to have to dedicate some time to getting
it up & running, and setting up something like your doing - DSSU to tape,
then Vault to duplicate it all.

-Jeff

On 5/24/05 9:26 AM, "Paul Keating" <pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca>
wrote:

> [...]

Jeff McCombs                 |                                    NIC, Inc
Systems Administrator        |                       http://www.nicusa.com
jeffm AT nicusa DOT com             |                                NASDAQ:
EGOV
Phone: (703) 909-3277        |        "NIC - the People Behind eGovernment"
--
  "I have travelled the length and breadth of this country and talked
   with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is